Sunday, February 17, 2008

Course 1, Lesson 2

Assalaamu Alaikum :)

I'm really getting lazy with these posts! ahh. I'm posting a new entry very soon!

In this post, I am going to share the steps I took to make my cake for my Cake Decorating Class. We were told to bring a cake that has already been iced. We had the option of following one of the templates given to us in the Decorator book but our instructor advised that it would be better to experiment with the tips that we have been taught so far.

Alright ... so I have made cakes from cake mixes so many times before but this time, it was different. Maybe it was because of the new oven or the fact that I didn't place the oven rack in the middle ... I don't know ... but that cake kept rising and rising ... until it was humungous!

Here were the steps I took to make this cake ....

For some reason, my cakes are baking in my oven as if they were on steroids. I don't get it. Anyway, the top dome needed to be removed so I finally used this Cake Leveler tool. It did the job!

After leveling it, I used medium consistency icing to create a dam along the cake so that when I fill the middle, it won't droop out.

I didn't have time to make fancy filling so I just used the thin consistency icing which I will be using soon for icing the cake.

Didn't I tell you it was a huge cake? I placed the second leveled cake ontop and now it looks like a big cake sandwich! Mmm mmm!

I used Wilton's Icer Tip (an amazing tip) to cover the cake with icing, instead of using the spatula technique. This way ... I felt I was able to use the right amount of icing to spread upon the cake. Now, it doesn't look great because my icing wasn't thin enough! But I will learn from this mistake, insha'Allah next week it will work! It will!

Ta da! I smoothed out the icing with the off-set spatula. I will not get into how difficult this process was for me because of the wrong icing consistency. The correct icing consistency is important, people!! Oh, and my cake is placed on a turn table which really helps with the icing.

I tried so many times to succeed with this Wilton Rose. This was my last attempt and yes, I did it! Again, it only works if the icing is at the right stiff consistency.

Now ... for my Cake :)


And there it is, folks. My first cake after my decorating class. I cannot stress how much fun it was! I am definitely going to be using these techniques for many more years to come :D
Stay tuned for my cake from the next lesson. Coming very soon!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WoW!
Stunning ;)

2/21/2008 11:02 PM  
Blogger Squeeky said...

Assalaamu Alaikum :)

Mayya:
Thanks :)

2/25/2008 12:46 PM  
Blogger hana said...

the cakes i bake always rise up til they crack in the middle... bummer :,(

2/27/2008 11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker