Sunday, August 13, 2006

- MuslimFest -

Assalaamu Alaikum :)

I had a pretty nice time at Muslim Fest. I went with my cousin's and sister so I spent half the time with my sister and my young cousin and the other half, I spent it with my aunt and my cousin-in-law, along with her two kids.

The first half, we arrived there just before the Sister's Extravaganza show was about to begin hehe I was curious and wanted to check it out. I am glad that I did because it wasn't so bad for a first sister's show. Masha'Allah, there's quite a lot of talent out there! A sister by the name of Sophia Baig shared some of her poetry and she discusses some very strong issues, such as women, the hijab and the obsession with finding Mr "tall, dark & handsome" haha She comes from a Chinese, Pakistani (?) and Spanish background ... I thought that was quite diverse! Anyhooz, the main attraction I wanted to visit was the Art Exhibit because I just love viewing Art :) Especially these type:

art1

art2

art3
I thought this was so amazing! It reminded me of my sister's, she made the Ka'ba out of toothpicks haha It was quite good

art4

art5

art6

art7
This, as well as the next one was done by a fellow hydro. I had no idea she was such an artist!

art8

art9


The second half of the day, I spent it by spending some time with my cousin's little kids, masha'Allah, I just love 'em! We went through the bazaar to see what was new and happening. A lot of pretty hijabs were being sold at a good price so I took advantage of that teehehe Later, we took a break and sat outside in the beautiful weather to get something to eat. My aunt and her daughter-in-law left me with her kids so they could go purchase some food so I was the babysitter for a little bit. Those kids are cute, but very energetic! Oh my goodness, they wouldn't stay on the bench with me and instead wanted to run around on the grass so I told the elder one that we need to guard this table so no one else would take it from us. He found it to be an important job so he decided to help me, aww.

I did have an odd encounter outside though. This random woman approaches me and stares at me for a bit and says in Urdu, "tum bohot achi dikri" (you look really nice), something like that, it was quite sudden so I don't rememeber too well but I replied back with a "jazaakAllah", thanked her. But she continued to look at me and then finally said, "did you understand what I just said?" Now, I'm assuming she doesn't think I'm from a South Asian descent. So I told her, yes I did understand and she further went to ask what my background was, if I was Pakistani. I told her, "my parent's are from Hyderabad, India and I'm from here". She said, "ohh, then you did understand me" haha and said I looked nice again and then left ... nice woman.

Oh, and I took a picture of this building because it reminded me of Vari Hall at York University *sigh*
bldg

Overall, I had a lovely time. Bumped into so many people I knew so it was also a little reunion with friends that I rarely see now-a-days. Also had some run-ins that I could have definitely done without but ... oh well :) It just added to the experience I suppose.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At last! I am the first person to post a response to your blog. I finally ended up seeing you... I saw you at Muslim Fest! I felt Muslim Fest was a little taste of Jannah. I completely concurred with what the sister said about finding that night in shining armour. I think that the problem with many muslims nowadays is that they have developed this stereotypical idea of what they are looking for and end up looking at a person's outer beauty rather than their inner personality/iman if u know what i mean. Perhaps this is due to the media and the wide range of films, Hollywood and Bollywood which have influenced the young generations on the importance on one's appearance.

The Kabah picture looks sick! The 3d effect is captivating. Btw did you know that science conducted some sorta study and they found that if you were to take out all the water, and were to consider what the center point of land mass was it would be the Kabha.. pretty amazing eh??

haha more hijabs squeeky?!!? Your wadrobe must be full of them now.. unless you have two cupboards like my mom then they might not be as full cause u can like divide them up. .. but ya some women are weird eh especially brown women (dont mean to stereotype :-p) like one day i was sitting on the subway with my friend and then this brown woman with her daughter after staring at me for like 15 minutes were like IN URDU "Tum Azra Kay Bhaytay hoo".. And I'm like "NOO.. umm whoo are you" Funny how people make that assumption u know that brown language just by looking at the colour of your skin you know what im saying.. im sure many people can relate to that at one point or another..

and BAHAHAH ur right that picture does look like vari hall just missing the fountain in the front .. i really thought u posted a york picture up until i read the bottom where u explicitly indicated that it was a building merely resembling York.. wow.. I'm feeling kinda high i guess its cause nite (check the time of the post) no i dont do drugs.. the moon light has some weird effects on me.. neway hope u dont find this too long of a read hahaha

Take care
Gnite Rafia

-Marky

8/14/2006 4:20 AM  
Blogger 'liya said...

Hehe, it does look like Vari Hall!

My family went in the evening around 7:30 and I was really disappointed that the art exhibit was closed by then! - Thanks for putting up the pictures, made me feel a bit better for missing that part :)

8/14/2006 8:20 PM  
Blogger Umm Haniah said...

As salamu alaykum,
Hey Squeeky! Those are some niiice pics, but none are mine lol, they're too good. I posted mine on my blog, and believe me they're nothing like the others that were at the art exhibit.
ma'asalama,
aMystery

8/14/2006 8:35 PM  
Blogger Squeeky said...

Assalaamu Alaikum :)

Marky:
You saw me?! Aww, did we meet? Do I know you and don't realize it ..? haha Cuz that would be ... terrible of me. Anyhooz, thanks for your comment :D And you can never have too many hijabs hehe
'liya:
I'm glad you agree! And sorry you missed out on the Art Exhibit. It was small and cute and very impressive.
of earth:
Walaikum Assalaam! Oh shucks, I didn't post all the pictures I took though. I also really liked the art that was done on mirrors oOoOo I checked out your blog but didn't see your artwork :/ maybe I missed it ...

8/16/2006 1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Squeeky, I saw you but we did not meet.. I followed you during the course of the day and you did not take notice.

-Marky

8/16/2006 7:44 PM  
Blogger Squeeky said...

umm .. followed me ...? i'm sure it wasn't me

8/16/2006 8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you say so

-Marky

8/17/2006 1:01 AM  
Blogger Asmaa said...

Squeeky, who is this marky fellow? I will make him stop following you. I have my ways >:)

Believe me markface, you don't want to be messing with Rafia. Or I'll hurt you. Badly.

8/19/2006 10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This calls for extreme measures! I best get my passe ready.

8/20/2006 12:18 AM  
Blogger Asmaa said...

Indeed it calls for extreme measures. I'm already pulling out my bouncy ball. You're really in for it.

8/20/2006 1:14 AM  
Blogger Squeeky said...

haha ... Asmaa, I do not know who this Marky fellow is, but I think it's time for Marky to share with us :D Shareeeee

PS - I got my own bouncy ball from my cousin's son's b-day party, aww!

8/20/2006 8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey did you guys hear that Ontario Place is holding its fourth annual Muslim Day!!?!? on Sunday August 27th/06. It should be amazing cause the tickets are discounted to 15 bucks including a play all day pass as well as free entry into the CNE (something something exhibition)!! Also there showing the cartoon version of the Muhammad (pbuh) movie which i heard was also real good!

For more information go to http://www.islam.am/muslimday/

(rafia im sure your cuzns would love something like this.. theres also many stalls there so im sure u can build on ur hijab collection.. so you dont have to wear the navy blue one all the time :-p)

8/20/2006 11:53 AM  
Blogger Squeeky said...

I don't wear navy blue all the time and yes, I did hear about that :) but I don't think I'll be able to make it, shucks! Anyhooz, you didn't answer my question :)

8/21/2006 2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker