Saturday, July 01, 2006

O Canada ...

Assalaamu Alaikum :)


My Flag for Daddy :)
No, I do not consider Canada my father. It is my daddy's birthday today as well as our lovely country Canada's :)

May Allah Subhanahu wa ta'ala always bless my father with good health and a long life filled with love, happiness, success and Deen ... ameen!

My dad is getting pretty old and alhamdulillah, the things he is capable of doing at such an age! I can only pray that I can be just as active at his age too, insha'Allah. I'm going to make a cake for him but since I was not smart enough to buy ingredients beforehand ... I'm going to have to wing it somehow. Eep. It better look splendid and scrumptious!!

It's tradition for our families to gather at Chinguacousy Park to watch the fireworks in the evening. I rarely visit in the daytime with all the activities but maybe I will try to do that this year. I just want a piece of that HUGE Canada Day cake that they distribute ... never get there on time! D'oh! It will also be the last day my cousin will be here from New Jersey *sigh* She is heading off for home Sunday morning ... I can't believe a month went by so quickly. Her children were oodles of fun ... I was so happy that I was able to spend some time with them. It makes me sad knowing that I don't have the opportunity to watch them grow up. It's okay though, I have their cousin's to watch teehehe

Hope everyone is enjoying their long weekend, insha'Allah. May it be a safe and happy one :D
EDIT:
Here's the cake that I tried to whip up ... I had to work with a vanilla cake mix, cool whip and sprinkles hehe ... tasted yummy though *phew*

Dad's Cake!

And I wanted to show the group of roses that are about to blossom insha'Allah! They'll bloom into a bouquet ... awww ... I'm so excited! Hopefully I will remember to take more pictures of it as the days progress ...

Soon-to-be bouquet of flowers
Without Flash

Roses about to bloooom ( w/ flash)
Flash was used so that the stems would be visible

10 Comments:

Blogger 'liya said...

Happy birthday to your dad!

Put up a pic of that cake once you're done making it :D

7/01/2006 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oodles of fun?

7/03/2006 4:58 PM  
Blogger Asmaa said...

No matter how much we diss Canada, Alhamdulillah!

7/03/2006 7:35 PM  
Blogger Squeeky said...

Assalaamu Alaikum :)

'liya:
Done and Done!
Anon
Yes, oodles of fun :D

7/04/2006 3:33 AM  
Blogger n said...

Heh, nice cake.

I went to Ottawa for Canada's day. Parliment was crowded with people. I saw this Muslim couple praying 'isha afterwards :')

7/04/2006 10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... that is odd. I've been an occasional reader of your blog and have noticed some odd coincidences, but now its just getting crazy!
In high school, one of my friends used to call me squeeky (supposedly because i have a bit of a high voice - I don't think so!). Then on June 3, you wrote it was your birthday - thats MY birthday! You said you go to York - I'm going to York next year (well just for teacher's college).. you mentionned Fabricland and well, I just started a new obsession with sewing (given how expensive it gets to have indian clothes sewn - especially when no one in your family can do it for you) and so I was interested in your Fabricland post :) And now, you've done it again with your post about Canada Day being your dad's birthday. Mine too - well legally anyhow - always thought of July 1st was his birthday (thats when I wished him happy birthday) until a few years back when I found out that really he was born earlier in the year but legally it was written as July 1st (never understood why)... Anyhow, its getting to be a little freaky I tell you!

7/04/2006 11:01 PM  
Blogger Squeeky said...

nazali:
Thanks for dropping by! I remember going to Ottawa once for Canada Day and we'd watch the fireworks from her penthouse ... very pretty.
Anon:
haha Yes, I too am a little scared :) Could it be, that there is another "Squeeky" out there in the world? *gasp* I wouldn't be surprised if you also looked like me haha I have a very common face, everyone knows someone that resembles me :S

But anyway, I think that's pretty cool, you must be awesome :D teehehe Thanks for staying tuned!

7/04/2006 11:51 PM  
Blogger AP said...

more cool july bday facts:

my dad's is on the 12th. my mother's on the 14th, and mine on the 18th.

how cool is that.

7/06/2006 12:29 AM  
Blogger Raja Pakistani said...

Nice. Hope your dad and Canada had a happy birthday.

I give that cake my Krusty brand seal of approval. :thumbup:

7/06/2006 7:53 AM  
Blogger Squeeky said...

ap:
those were very cool facts indeed and i shall take this opportunity to wish you all an early birthday!
rajaa:
thanks :)

7/07/2006 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker