Thursday, February 15, 2007

ATTN: Gym Regulars

Assalaamu Alaikum :)


I need advice from the blog world ... specifically those who go to the gym regularly. Even if you don't ... your input would be greatly appreciated!

I've been going to the gym for a couple of weeks now. I take advantage of most of the equipment and I tend to stay on the Elliptical a bit longer (I love that thing). My concern is, the next day I don't feel pain. And when you work out, you should feel it at least the next day. There are exercises I do at home and I feel those more than my actual gym workouts. For example, I went to the gym on Monday ... didn't feel a thing the next day. I did my home exercise on the Wednesday (there was no work due to my very first SNOW DAY so I had to use that time since I was not able to go to the gym) and I'm in pain right now. The exercises done at home target specific body parts and really work at them so you can feel it the next day. The gym workout ... uhh ... not so much. So I think I am just doing it all wrong. Or maybe I'm not doing enough reps.

The difference I see here is that the program I have for home exercises makes me repeat the circuit. At the gym, I usually just do one round and then I'm out. I don't really have the time to go back and do the same ones over again. Maybe that's my problem ..?

Should I repeat the exercise I do on each of the equipment and if so, how many reps should one do in order to make their workout successful? I don't want to go to the gym knowing I'm doing everything wrong hehe I tend to watch and listen to the advice that the trainer's give and incorporate that into my workout tee hee Thanks for the help I may receive :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Ahmed said...

I think you should talk to the trainer for recommendations.

I believe if you're looking to tone you do closer to 5 sets of 12-15 repetitions. If more muscle than 2-3 sets of 6-10 repetitions.

I find I hurt at the gym the first few times I go. Then slowly not at all. Unless I really really push myself...but yeah overall the more often I workout the less I start to feel any pain.

2/16/2007 12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salaams,

If you don't feel it then perhaps you're not doing enough of it.

It might be better to do a couple more repetitions. Don't over do it though (some people try to become Conan on day 1, but it does not work like that)
For repetitions; break it into sets; do it once and take a break and do it again.

You can either do a few sets a lot of times (15 times in two sets) or do a smaller amount with more sets (5/10 times in 3 sets)

Similarly if using weights you can do a either heavy weights a couple of times (for eg pick 15/20 lbs 5-10 times in 2 sets) or do lighter weights more number of times (5/10lbs 15-20 times)

Try to balance it out: keep a weight amount, the number of times per set you do and the number of sets to do at a pace which is comfortable to you and at the same time is challenging.

One reason that you are feeling different at home and the gym is maybe you're doing something different at home and the gym. Perhaps at your home you can are more open to stress yourself more than being in a gym with other people (shy to work).

Ahmed's suggestion to talking with a trainer is a good idea. All gyms have people to help you (is it not part of the gym fees)

Do you know anyone else going to the gym? The best thing to do is team up with someone. This way both of you work together in keeping a regular schedule, push each other to work harder. If she knows the gym better, she might also be able to give you pointers.

Give some time off, some people work 7 days a week which is not a good thing (unles you work different muscle groups everyday)

Make a schedule, specific days to go, specific muscle groups to target, that sort.

Randomlyplaced knows some guy blogger who'll make Taj Mahals for you, you can ask him?! :P lol

there was another blogger who appears to be studying fitness and health, so try asking that br/sis odd-wisdom.blogspot.com

2/18/2007 3:10 PM  
Blogger Squeeky said...

Assalaamu Alaikum :)

Ahmed & Anon:
JazaakAllahu khairaa for taking the time to give me some suggestions :) I appreciate them! I plan to speak with someone at the gym and get some advice. I really don't think I was doing enough so I tried to do 3 sets of 10 and yea ... that worked haha I was happy to feel pain! *weirdo*

And to Anon's question ... no friends at the gym :( I'm a loner. Although I did see another hijabi at the gym so maybe I should talk to her haha I think I'm better at the gym on my own though. And thanks for the link!

2/20/2007 9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker