Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Unexpected ...

Assalaamu Alaikum :)

The unexpected just happened ... I am now a Kindergarten Teacher.

I think my mind is still trying to process the entire thing. I mean, the idea of entering the field of Teaching only recently came to mind and I have been debating whether or not this is what I want to do. I started to seriously consider applying for Teacher's College this year so obviously I would need to get more experience in what I want to do since I don't have much as it is. I thought I would volunteer at an Islamic school nearby so I can get a feel of what to expect.

The Director of the Islamic school attends the same Uloom program as me so it was easy to bring it up to her. Before I could mention anything, my cousin's wife (who also attends the class with me & worked at the school) made it known to her that I would be available to work for her if she wanted. And since this is a real small school, they would love to receive help. That's when I came in and asked, if she needed any help, I was available. All the while keeping in mind that my main focus was just to volunteer for a few days in the week. I was advised to call her to make an appointment for an interview ... that was interesting.

They need someone to teach Kindergarten because the previous teacher had to take time off due to a recent surgery. I suppose they got a bit excited when they found out about me and wanted me to teach their little ones instead. I gave it a thought ... and, why not? I love children, I spend time with a lot of children ... I think I can do this! I mean, how hard can it be?

It can be hard! It might be! I'm SO nervous *sigh* I went for my interview today and they were content with everything. They explained everything about the school to me and let me know what to expect with the Kindergarten students. It never occured to me what a task it would be to handle children aged 4-5. I became quite nervous when they mentioned my job to teach them how to go to the potty properly ..... ahhhh haha Oh great, just my luck. I can tell, I'm going to have such a great time with that haha Alright, well, the reason I'm so nervous is because ... *sigh* this will be my first job, ever. Major heebie jeebies coming on.

I began to feel more comfortable about everything when I went over day-planners and activities for the kids. Such as, what to do during Circle Time and Nap Time ... aww! I just need to get used to the routine and insha'Allah ... I'll be able to make that classroom my own. Du'as would help me greatly hehe And, if I reeally need help ... I can always run to an experienced teacher for some advice/help *ehem* Aaliya *ehem* :D

It's a real nice school. Actually, it was because of that school that I decided to pursue teaching. I visited my cousin when she used to work there and it was just so lovely! The kids took an instant liking to me which was nice. Eventually, the girls began saying, "can Sister Rafia be our teacher instead?" .. awww! I found one of the drawings the girl's did for me:

A drawing someone made me aww
"I love you S. Rafia"
I can only wish that I looked like that


Well, maybe this won't be so bad. I have faith in myself ... I can take on little children ... right?! Please excuse me while I go practice my "I mean business" voice ....

Squeeky's Moment:
Alhamdulillah for such good friends. I'm so lucky to be surrounded by caring and considerate people. Every person in your life leaves a positive impact in you and help you in ways that you only realize later how much you needed that. Thank you :)

~*~*~*~* H A P P Y_B I R T H D A Y_R A J *~*~*~*~

13 Comments:

Blogger 'liya said...

You'll be getting so many drawings like that you'll want to throw them out hehe. Congratulations!!!Kindergarten, wow, that's crazy! I could never do that, but I know you'll be fabulous because you're very patient and caring - the kids will love you :)

I strongly suggest you apply for the Consecutive program at York though. One of the reasons I don't like Islamic schools is because many of their teachers don't hold the qualifications to teach in Ontario (not to mention that they don't pay teachers as much as they deserve - make sure you're getting enough!). It might just be the experience I had volunteering at an Islamic school, but I felt that the child's education was often not put first. Think of it like this, your child is starting school, don't you want them to have the most properly qualified people teach them? I know that for kindergarten that might not seem like a big deal but you'll be teaching them a lot of basic skills that they'll need for all other grades to come so that's a mighty important job (which I know you can do!).

Of course I'd be more than happy to give you advice though and you can come to me anytime for ideas :D Hmm I wonder if you'll be teaching at my brother's school... email me to tell me which school!

Most of all, GOOD LUCK!! I know you must be nervous, and don't worry, that's natural because I have my first staff meeting tomorrow and I'm even nervous to attend that!

Potty training.. I thought kids had to be potty trained BEFORE starting kindergarten :O

8/30/2006 11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mabruks. Inshallah you'll do fine.

:-)

8/31/2006 6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh atlast you have updated us about what has been happening in your life. First of all congrats on the new job!! I am sure that you will conquere whatever challenges you pursue, Insha Allah. Allah swt has guided you to this path and Insha Allah He will continue to guide you. It is good that it is an Islamic school so not only will you earn the monetary incentives but also the good deeds of guiding children to the path of Islam at such a young age.

I guess it would be a little nieve for me to not tell you to be nervous cause most of the time- we cannot help it.. but i think its good to be a little nervous cause that nervous energy can propell us to do great things. I think that if you plan out what you want to do for the first few days then you can keep planning out as you go along.

Anyway there is not much for me to say cause the lady above me has pretty much spoken nething i would have said... I would also recommend you pursuing the prestigous education program at York University. Make sure you know the deadlines of when to apply. It would be great to have a degree of teaching which will provide you with job security and it will also grant you the opportunity to be able to teach in any kind of school. We also must remember that there are thousands of muslim children who are unable to attend an Islamic school who still yearn for an Islamic role model in their teachers... of which they are deprived of at most times.. and ya the pay is higher too haha.

I acknowledge that the job offer you received has been a sudden surprise and that it would be overwhelming to all of a sudden think that you can pursue a degree. So use the next few weeks/months to ponder and reflect if you think it would be the right step. Always the option of Istikhara is with us as well.. Remember to use the time now to pursue higher education. Unfortunately I also wanted to become a teacher but it did not really work out because I procrastinated with my decision.. Now i clean the streets of downtown. Although I receive numerous reward from Allah swt for upholding the Islamic principle of cleanliness and removing harmful objects outa the way (glass bottles etc) I kind of regret not being able to go into the career of teaching when I had the chance.

Anyway I have to go now my break is over and my shift is back on. We will talk soon Insha Allah (i apologise for any mistakes cause i dont have time to proofread this..)

WSalams
-Marky

8/31/2006 7:50 PM  
Blogger Squeeky said...

Assalaamu Alaikum :)

'liya:
I really appreciate your comment. Thanks :D And I do agree with you too, I'm just thankful that this school is very keen on working with the Ontario Cirriculum along with Islamic teachings, which is going to be a lot of fun :) Thanks for your faith in meeee.

And as for the York program, I'm thinking about it. I've been getting a lot of good feedback about UofT haha So insha'Allah we'll see.

Marky:
Oh my, I seriously had to take breaks through that! JazaakAllahu khairaa for the comment. I feel this is a great opportunity for me and since it was literally handed to me, I'm very thankful, alhamdulillah.

9/02/2006 9:13 PM  
Blogger Squeeky said...

Whoopssss
rooq:
hehe sowie ... JazaakAllahu khairaa, I really hope so ..

9/02/2006 11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Raf.. I wouldnt really consider U of T well i would consider it but I would give preference to York if i were you cause i guess you were schooled there right (if i am correct) so theres that comfort level. In terms of the education programs ive always favoured York but thats perhaps my personal bias... but these are just the ramblings of a 40 year old garbage man HAH

9/03/2006 12:38 AM  
Blogger Asmaa said...

Hey, how are the flashcards coming along? ;) You'll be awesome, inshaAllah.

9/03/2006 11:56 PM  
Blogger Umar said...

God help those kids.


(Just kidding... congrats and good luck!)

9/05/2006 2:29 PM  
Blogger Squeeky said...

Marky:
It's Rafia :)
A part of me wants to go to UofT, just for the downtown life experience. Insha'Allah we'll see.
Asmaa:
haha So far so good, they're working well ;)
Umar:
I'm not that bad :( Apparently the Principal and teachers were impressed that I was able to get the children to be quiet during nap time :D yay ... Thanks!

9/06/2006 6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I havent heard from you in a while I guess your new job is keeping you bz I just wanted to send my salams and I hope that Insha Allah all is well. Im cool too just keeping the streets of downtown clean. I happened to log in here at an internet cafe during my break time. All is well with me too. Anyway i will talk to you soon,
take care insha Allah
salams
-marky

9/07/2006 8:14 PM  
Blogger Sunita said...

Congrats Squeeky!! =)

9/08/2006 5:59 PM  
Blogger Squeeky said...

Walaikum Assalaam,
Marky, why do your comments sound like emails ..? Alhamdulillah everything is dandy!

9/10/2006 8:50 AM  
Blogger Squeeky said...

Oh and Sunita!
Thank you so very much :D

9/10/2006 8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker