Sunday, April 08, 2007

The Yahoo! Me

Assalaamu Alaikum :)

So a few of my fellow bloggers have the Yahoo! Avatar to express themselves for that day or entry. I have always found it to be a nice method to get your mood across and pondered whether or not I should include one for my blog. I thought about it ... even played around with it ... but it just wasn't me. Where was the hijab?! I could not possibly post up a little character with hair showing! That would not be representing me at all haha So I *sighed* and put the idea on the backburner once again.

But then ... as I was exploring ... I came across something that did look somewhat like a hijab! Actually, it was labeled as a "grim reaper hood" but to me, it looked perfect and appropriate. I just loved it and I really want to share it. Who knows, maybe I will even add it to my blog in time. It's just so cute! :)

Introducing ... *drum roll please* ... Squeeky the Avatar:



Anyhooz, update on my life. It's been busy. The toughest week just left me and I am ever so happy. For the entire month I have been preparing my students for the Science Fair. Yes, my itty bitty Kindergarteners were expected to participate in the Science Fair. It was difficult but fun as well because they just love doing experiments so I tried to give each of them something easy yet fascinating. The day of the Fair, we rearranged all the classrooms and set up their experiments. Before the parents were to come, we did a rehearsal for the entire school. My class was first. I was basically with each of my students nudging them along because of course most were unable to remember what to say next. It was just a great opportunity to aquaint themselves with scientific terms like Purpose, Hypothesis, Materials, etc. After going through each one and finally reaching the end ... I stood there and thought, "Oh great, I will have to do this all over again once the parents arrive". Argh! The first time around was tiring enough! But I held it together and we did it. I was so proud of my students and each of them were so brave. I remember becoming so nervous when I would do presentations and these little ones ... were up there literally making everybody laugh. Subhana'Allah, may Allah Swt preserve their innocence.

Since I don't get a "long weekend", Friday was the Parent-Teacher Interviews which went quite well, alhamdulillah. And tomorrow, the teachers have a little party for a teacher who recently left on maternity leave. It should be nice. Each of us will bring food so I'm thinking I'll make cookies and get samosas.

Speaking of cookies, I made Chocolate Chip Cookies yesterday. I have always wanted to master chocolate chip cookies and yay, I did! Enjoy.

I finally received my pack of 100 Virtue cards. So I decided each time I write an entry (how ever often that may be) I will randomly choose a card for that day and post it. Like I am doing right now ...

~* Today's Virtue *~
Righteousness
Righteousness is living by a code of moral rectitude. It is practicing impeccable integrity in light of what we know is right. We don't allow the fads of the day to sway us from doing the right thing. Nor do we stand in judgment of others. Righteousness is one thing. Self-righteousness is another. We don't shame ourselves when we go off track. We discern the lesson in the teachable moment and gently call ourselves back to the virtues. We resist being driven by our egos. We choose to be led by our souls. We live the good life.

11 Comments:

Blogger Asmaa said...

The grim reaper hood looks good! But what's this...part of your forearm is showing! That's just unacceptable ;)

I admire your patience with those kids, I would've gotten so exasperated! And finally another baking picture, yay and thanks!

4/09/2007 3:27 AM  
Blogger Ahmed said...

I am now craving cookies.....those look really good!

4/09/2007 10:43 AM  
Blogger Frazza said...

Assalamu'alaykum,

Yahoo still doesn't offer a decent beard, unfortunately. For my Yahoo Fantasy Hockey league, I settled with an avatar consisting of an alien face with wings and a clown nose, wearing x-ray vision goggles. Not quite the real me, but a decent compromise. :)

4/09/2007 11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe, you look like little red riding hood :)

4/10/2007 11:23 AM  
Blogger Squeeky said...

Assalaamu Alaikum :)

Asmaa:
I know :( I must change her outfit immediately! hehe And thanks, it's an excellent way for me to test my patience ... subhana'Allah, it's hard to be around kids :S
Ahmed:
Awww ... well ... they are there for you to eat :)
Faraz:
Walaikum Assalaam!
haha I'm sure the avatar depicts you well ... I was thinking of contacting Yahoo! and requesting hijabs and beards tee hee
mcpagal:
hehe My cousin said the exact same thing

4/10/2007 2:05 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

you look like a stylin' Red Riding Hood though :)

4/11/2007 9:17 AM  
Blogger Nauman said...

I had the same problem with trying to find a beard. I was surprised that they didn't have that while having every other possible accessory. Maybe they have a bias against beards/hijabs. :)

Say it ain't so, Yahoo, say it ain't so!

4/13/2007 9:06 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

i love ur bunny slippers today!

4/13/2007 12:54 PM  
Blogger 'liya said...

It's cute!

My avatar doesn't seem to be working anymore :(

4/13/2007 5:14 PM  
Blogger Squeeky said...

Sarah:
Aww thank you hehe and I love those bunny slippers too! They remind me of my Sleep Country Canada Sheep slippers :)
Nauman:
That's so strange ... okay now I really do think I will write them a letter!
'liya:
Oh no ... I hope you were able to get that problem fixed.

4/15/2007 12:55 PM  
Blogger AnonyMouse said...

As-salaamu 'alaikum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatu,

Oooh, cool! I went and created an avatar of my own now... but, how do I get it onto my blog?!

5/11/2007 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker