Saturday, October 21, 2006

Meet the York Alumni

Assalaamu Alaikum :)

... Alhamdulillahi Rabbil 'Aalameen ...

Given on stage ... I'm going to use it as a hijab pin

My convocation at York University was today :)

I had such a wonderful time! It really feels like I have finally become a graduate. I didn't find the ceremony boring at all ... only because I was involved in it hehe What made the day even more nice was that I spent some time with a friend of mine. She is now living in Ottawa but returned to attend the Convocation. So we were basically going through everything together which I am very grateful for because it would be pretty boring if you were there by yourself with no one to talk to. Then again, I didn't find that to be a problem anyway because everyone was just so kind there. I was talking to the girls around me in line most of the time anyway. Anyhooz, the ceremony was great and interesting. Throughout the whole time I was praying that I wouldn't have to shake anyone's hand on stage because there were about 4 men standing up there. I thought I did well, I just folded my hands together and smiled at them, while saying "thank you so very much" haha They got the hint, thank goodness. And my friend was quite thankful too because she was able to do the same. It got a little scary at the end because when the last graduate left the stage, all the other graduates started cheering, hollering, stomping their feet on the floor boards and they actually threw their caps up in the air! haha Classic.

After the ceremony, I became even more happy .... I got roses!!! :D I never get flowers and there was my brother and cousin ... standing ... with roses for me *sniffles* It was the sweetest thing ever. I just could not stop myself from saying "aww I got roses!". The most scariest part of all was when I received a text message from a friend. "I saw you graduate!" haha It was so cute, she was there in spirit :) I still find those webcasts a little scary ...

It is such an odd feeling to realize that my Undergrad is finally complete. Alhamdulillah. Most people who know me are well aware of the fact that I really enjoy school and will miss it dearly. We spend the majority of our lives attending classes and learning new things on a daily basis. And now, knowing that I will not be sitting in any more lectures is a little sad *sigh* Okay that's not completely true. My plan is to work towards Teacher's College, insha'Allah, so maybe it isn't over just yet. Still, this is all too much to take in!

I am so thankful that I am teaching at the moment. It keeps my mind off of a lot of things. If I was a bum sitting at home (which I miss dearly time to time!) , I would have probably visited York more than 10 times by now haha Yes, I'm a geek. Hmm ... that is my plan for this coming week though. At the Islamic school, we have a 3 day holiday for Eid-ul-Fitr (yes!) and when we come back, it will be a half day due to our Eid Party :D It's going to be SO cute! To see all the cute munchkins outside of their uniform and very dressed up. I am definitely going to go picture crazy tee hee

Now I must take advantage of my sleep time ... take care lovelies.

P.S. = The diploma was not very attractive ...

6 Comments:

Blogger Farzeen said...

Assalaamu'alaykum

Congratulations sister :). Actually, now that I read your post, I'm reminded that today was the scheduled convocation for me too at York (which I obviously didn't attend). Small world I tell ya. I suspect though that we have never met.

Teacher's college is quite competitive, but it's great that you're teaching now, it helps all the more (so I've heard). Insha'Allah all works out well for you. As for the life of bumming at home *ahem*... yah... good point :).

10/22/2006 12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey girl congrats. mashallah. i know they used like the smallest font possible on that degree.

10/22/2006 1:09 AM  
Blogger 'liya said...

Yay! Congratulations! :D
Lovely roses too - and I say that because I got the same and I know they're gorgeous lol. Are you going to keep yours when they dry out? I have mine sitting on my desk in my room making a mess, not really sure what to do with them, but don't want to throw the memory away!

One question, if you weren't teaching, why would you be a bum sitting at home??? What were you planning to do when you graduated (if it wasn't teaching)? :S

10/22/2006 11:54 AM  
Blogger Asmaa said...

Awwww! Congratulations Rafia. It can be a bit scary knowing what to do next, but you have already got something, which is awesome.

Hehe I can't wait to graduate myself, inshaAllah just a few more months left...but I'm kinda scared that I'm going to be lost after I'm done. Sigh.

Eid Mubarak Rafia :)

10/22/2006 9:44 PM  
Blogger Sunita said...

Congrats Squeeky!!!

10/23/2006 9:50 PM  
Blogger IntI said...

Congrats, mabrook :)

10/28/2006 3:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker