Friday, November 03, 2006

Appreciation & Humiliation

Assalaamu Alaikum :)

Appreciation -

Sometimes the time feels as if it is just zooming by me ... other times, it just drags on and I just want to scream my head off :/ It has already been 2 months since I started teaching as a Kindergarten Teacher. When it comes to work, I have no clue as to where the time is going. The children especially keep me so busy that before I know it, it is time to get them ready for home.

There are times where I feel frustrated because children aged 5 and under can be very challenging to control (especially the boys! ugh) When I begin to feel like that, I wonder if I am doing my job correctly at all. I don't know ... it makes me a bit sad at times because I really want to do the best I can for my students ... they are so precious, masha'Allah.

But then, the Principal approaches me now and then complimenting on the good work I have been accomplishing with the little ones. Apparently, I have been controlling them pretty well. September is said to be such a difficult month because that is when the students are most rowdy haha Whenever someone happens to observe the way I handle my students, usually during the times they are out of control, I am always complimented on my patience and ability to stay calm haha That is what I hear the most, "I admire your patience". Hmm, sometimes I just feel I am really running low on that these days. But it is real nice to hear such things, especially from the staff at the school. May Allah Swt give me the strength and patience to continue with my good work :) I can't stress how cute they are haha I find their expressions on wanting to go "potty" very interesting. They all have these cute names for it ... I wonder what nicknames I will have my children identify it as ....

Humiliation -

We had one of our Hyderabadi Eid parties the other day .... they're annual ... but the older ones used to be much more meaningful. Now they're a bit blah. Anyways, my dad sometimes has a hand in the arrangement of the parties but this year, I believe someone different had made their attempts. Umm, it was okay I suppose. The best part of the evening was meeting up with old friends, all the girls were back together ... it was beautiful! The worst part of the evening was when some lady was walking around, hunting single women and handing them this:



theribbon


All the single girls had to wear these ribbons. Why? Don't ask me, because I'm still trying to figure that out. She came over to my table (which was filled with single girls) and asked each of us if we were single. If we were, she asked us to put those ribbons on. She did not even bother to explain if there was a purpose for that. If there was a purpose, then it would be for those aunties seeking daughter-in-laws. We were all shocked that this was even happening haha That day certainly went down in history. It made me uncomfortable and I was not going to advertise my singleness, thank you very much. Although I must say ... it's not fun being a "single 23 year old Indian girl".

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey aunty!

there was a guy wearing that too... hmmm

aunties... suck

11/04/2006 1:21 AM  
Blogger 'liya said...

Oh my goodness! The red ribbon thing is so .. tacky!! I'm not sure what a Hyderabadi Eid party is but I don't think I like it :(

I don't understand how some mothers could be so desperate. Something must really be wrong with their sons if this is the way they need to chose a woman for them to wed! The last time I went to mosque one lady was telling me how her son had blue eyes. Like I really care! Does she think blue eyes would make him a good husband :S

Don't worry about the age thing, I had the goal of getting engaged before turning 23 and now sadly it seems like that goal won't be met.

11/04/2006 11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh heyy i havent been here for a while lol if your still looking i know of many dudes you might be interested and who might be interested in you hahaaha im just playing with you

11/04/2006 10:59 PM  
Blogger Squeeky said...

Assalaamu Alaikum :)

Kikar:
... Did you just call me an aunty?!
'liya:
haha I think she runs a matrimonial business. Still, I feel it was very inappropriate to turn our nice intimate parties into some show and tell. Also, none of us wore our ribbons :) And I'm not worried, my day will come soon, insha'Allah.
Asmaa:
Exactly :S And the fact that I was in a terrible mood did not help.
Mobeen:
Yea stalker .. it's been a while :P And umm, thanks for your help hehe

11/05/2006 1:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what
you are like 6 yrs older than me or something

so aunty it is :)

(ur 3 yrs older but whatever)

11/05/2006 2:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think its a pretty good idea. How else are you gonna go see or meet guys? Are you gonna approach them at weddings or parties? How about going to the masjid and posting your phone number on the bulletin board? If you ask me, the woman (or aunti) was doing something helpful, and it was just you that was not open to the appropriate channels in obtaining the 'blissful' life you are dreaming of. Maybe she should have handed out laptops so you can chitchat with guys on MSN. Anyways, you are 23 now, but dont waste time or else you will be looking at a 33 yr old single Muslimah in the mirror who may very well have to resort to "the Ribbon".

11/05/2006 11:52 PM  
Blogger Ahmed said...

Whatever the intensions of the Aunty I don't think thats cool at all. I'm not sure if an Eid party is the place for it. And even if it is, she should have the decency to explain what its all about.

And 23 isn't old....but then I'm still telling myself 25 isn't old...

11/06/2006 11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sister, I know the actions of the aunti were quite foreign and bizarre to you, and I understand completely that you felt uncomfortable. However, posting about your "singleness" on your blog isn't a great idea either. If you think that these auntis are bad, the single male bloggers and blogreaders are even worse. People somehow develop emotional attachments to bloggers, regardless of whether they have ever met the blogger in person. Believe me, it's true - I've received a number of marriage proposals myself through my blog, so I basically stopped writing altogether. All the attention made me quite uncomfortable.

This is just an anonymous message from someone who cares about you as a Muslim, and wishes only the best for you in this life and the hereafter. :)

11/06/2006 4:04 PM  
Blogger Squeeky said...

JazaakAllahu khairaa for your comments, I really do appreciate them.

Kikar:
Umm, what about Baji? and Apa?!
Serendipity:
We're usually used to an interested woman approaching our mothers if they happen to be interested. Some people may find this to be a good idea at some level, but not at a party where we've grown up in since we've been babies ... everyone knows who's single and who is not.
Ahmed:
I agree, at least she should have explained to us what she was doing. Nothing should be forced on a person.
Anon:
Thank you for your comment :) It's nice to know that there are people out there looking out for other Muslims, subhana'Allah. And you bring up a good point, I never thought of it that way ...

11/06/2006 5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker