Saturday, December 02, 2006

Meet the Parents

Assalaamu Alaikum :)

Yesterday was a P.D. Day for the students .... so I had a break from running around after my class for a day haha It was Parent-Teacher Interviews.

I think a little part of me was nervous because I would have to sit down with these parents and discuss their child's progress and behaviour. Then again, I felt okay because I have spoken to most of these parents on a daily basis when they would come to pick up their child after school. For some, I didn't really have anything new to share. The parent's of the naughty boys definitely had to be told of their behaviour though! Oh dear goodness.

Alhamdulillah, it was a real nice experience. Each parent had something very kind to say to me. They told me that they saw a positive improvement in their child and the interest they have been showing in the school. Which could only mean that the school is being run well and the teacher is doing a good job. Subhana'Allah ... it made me feel so good when the parent's would tell me this. Made me feel a lot better about how I was handling the class and it is always great to be given that reminder. I am doing the best I can do and it was nice to know that my efforts were being appreciated.

I came home and told my parent's that I had my first Parent-Teacher Interview and all they could do was snicker haha They were happy for me but at the same time, I think it was difficult for them to imagine me as the teacher speaking with parents. If you knew me, you would understand a little more. Little 'ol Squeeky.

Oh, and it has started to snow :( *sigh*

10 Comments:

Blogger Nauman said...

Congratulations. Keep up the good work and may this be the first of many good parent-teacher interviews for you.

12/02/2006 3:02 PM  
Blogger 'liya said...

I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record, but I think you should still become qualified .. I don't think it's fair for the students :S I think applications for TC are due in a week.. if you're wondering.. It's just something I feel really strongly about so I'll just say it over and over again until you give in :D

I'm glad it went smoothly for you though. My (two) parents who showed up were very sweet and my night went great as well (with only 1 embaressing incident which I might reveal later on lol).

12/02/2006 8:16 PM  
Blogger Squeeky said...

Assalaamu Alaikum :)

Nauman:
Insha'Allah ... thank you, your du'as would be appreciated.
'liya:
I know it makes you uncomfy that I am not a certified teacher yet still teaching in a school. Trust me, I understand because I feel I should be qualified as well and I have already sent in my application (yesterday was the due date). Everything is in Allah Swt's hands now ... so I need your du'as! :) I'm not keeping my hopes up but it's worth a try ... wish me luck please! And I'm quite curious to know of this embarrassing incident hehe

12/02/2006 10:43 PM  
Blogger 'liya said...

Yay! Okay I'm happy now :D

12/03/2006 12:41 PM  
Blogger AP said...

does your squeeky voice prevent the parents of the naughty boys from taking you seriously as an authority figure?

oh and do you need a guest to come in and talk to the kids about math? i can do that.

'today kids we have a special nerd guest here to talk about epsilon and his friend theta'

12/04/2006 1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not the only one who is not certified to teach at schools. Most Islamic schools have unqualified teachers - even at high schools. It's amazing how much money these private schools take, yet can't afford to get proper qualified teachers, especially in High Schools. I understand that these schools arnt funded by the government, but I know of some schools/institutes that literally throw their money out for useless things, yet can't afford to invest in good, qualified teachers.

It's definitely not fair to the students, and to the parents who spend literally 500+ a month for their kids to get a proper education.

12/04/2006 6:15 PM  
Blogger Squeeky said...

Please remember me in your du'as :) and ap, I think you'd make a great guest speaker ... honest ... they won't be confused at all ...

12/04/2006 8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how was ap's post confusing?

I actually agree with him/her. Our islamic institutes have no standards, hence no one takes them seriously.

I wish things will change. I'd like my kids to go to Islamic schools inshAllah.

12/05/2006 10:28 PM  
Blogger Squeeky said...

Mujahid:
It wasn't his post that was confusing haha And I agree with you, the Islamic institutes really need to take a big step up and provide our youth with the best of education. I absolutely love teaching the students both sides of education. It's beautiful to see children so involved in their Deen. But if we can better the entire system, it would be more successful with a lot more participants.

We can make du'a and insha'Allah with my current experience, I can attempt at making something happen :)

12/06/2006 7:54 AM  
Blogger AP said...

haha score!

I asked another elementary school teacher about being a guest speaker and I was told I need a some papers from the police certifying that I have a clean record and don't pose a threat to the little tots.

12/07/2006 5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker